The Gift of Listening
"The Heart of the Discerning Acquires Knowledge" — A Reflection on Proverbs 18
During my lunch devotion with my colleagues, three verses from Proverbs 18 lingered with me long after we had finished reading:
"To answer before listening—that is folly and shame."
Proverbs 18:13
"The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge, for the ears of the wise seek it out."
Proverbs 18:15
"A gift opens the way and ushers the giver into the presence of the great."
Proverbs 18:16
Perhaps it is because graduation from my Spiritual Direction training is only a month away. As I reflected on these verses, I found myself confronted not with grand questions about ministry, but with something much simpler and much more demanding.
Am I truly willing to sit with someone and listen to their heart for an hour?
Can I remain present for that long without mentally wandering to my to-do list, my own thoughts, or the temptation to formulate answers? Can I resist the urge to fix, advise, or prematurely interpret before I have truly listened?
Proverbs 18:13 struck me as both a warning and an invitation. To answer before listening is folly. As an extrovert and an elder sister by nature, I know how easily I can slip into giving direction, offering solutions, or wanting to help too quickly.
But Spiritual Direction has been teaching me something different.
It is not about having the right answers. It is about cultivating the posture of listening, listening to another's story, listening to the movements of the Spirit, and listening with a heart that is patient enough to allow God to speak in His own time.
Then verse 15 felt like an affirmation:
"The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge, for the ears of the wise seek it out."
Proverbs 18:15
I was reminded that wisdom begins with attentive ears. Spiritual direction is less about imparting knowledge and more about becoming a discerning listener. This ministry itself is a school of listening, learning to hear beneath words, to notice holy longings, and to remain attentive to the quiet presence of God in the sacred stories entrusted to us.
As I pondered these verses, I sensed them not as a burden but as an encouragement from God. He seemed to be asking me gently,
"Will you make room for another?
Will you offer your presence as a gift?"
And perhaps that is what verse 16 means to me in this season:
"A gift opens the way…"
Proverbs 18:16
Not a gift of expertise or eloquence, but the simple gift of presence.
The gift of unhurried attention.
The gift of listening with compassion and curiosity.
These are not accomplishments to be achieved, but graces to be received and stewarded.
As graduation approaches, I am aware that I am not stepping into a role because I have mastered the art of listening. Rather, I am being invited into a lifelong journey of learning how to be present, to sit with another soul, to notice God's gentle movements, and to trust that He is the true Director in every conversation.
Perhaps these verses came to me today as a reminder that before I am called to speak, I am first called to listen.
And maybe that is gift enough.
"Speak, Lord, for Your servant is listening."
1 Samuel 3:9
A Prayer
Lord, teach me to listen before I speak.
Give me ears that seek wisdom and a heart that is willing to make room for another. Quiet the urge to fix, to advise, or to rush ahead of Your Spirit. Form in me the grace of attentive presence, that those entrusted to me may encounter not my answers, but Your gentle guidance.
As I approach graduation, remind me that I remain a learner. May I never cease to listen for Your voice, and may I trust that You are the true Director in every sacred conversation.
Amen.
Where do I find myself answering before truly listening?
What might God be inviting me to hear beneath the words of those around me?
And what if one of the greatest gifts I can offer another is not advice, but my attentive presence?
"The heart of the discerning acquires knowledge, for the ears of the wise seek it out."
Proverbs 18:15

Comments
Post a Comment